In 2014, American Bird Conservancy was awarded $86,000 from the SFI Conservation and Community Partnerships Grant program to work with a broad array of SFI-certified landowners to identify priority habitats for bird conservation, develop improved management scenarios for these habitats, and focus on locations where those ownerships intersect with critical habitats and flyways in North America. This analysis was combined with existing understanding of optimal habitat conditions, and an economic and feasibility analysis to determine the actual cost associated with managing certified forests to maximize habitat value. The combination of scale (major forest regions and forest types), along with the collaboration with SFI Program Participants on economic feasibility, made this project truly unique and practical. The breadth of partners involved enabled ABC to focus on a range of habitats and forest regions, and promote individual involvement of these various companies in places where their operations are focused. This Project has continued into Phase II, with an additional SFI grant to ABC in 2015.
The project intersects with SFI Certification Standards through conservation of biological diversity, and requirements for wildlife habitat conservation.
American Bird Conservancy partnered with NatureServe, Resource Management Service, LLC, Plum Creek Timber Company, Weyerhaeuser, Hancock Timber Resource Group.
About American Bird Conservancy
American Bird Conservancy is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to conserve native birds and their habitats throughout the Americas. ABC acts across the full spectrum of threats to birds to safeguard the rarest bird species, restore habitats, and reduce threats, unifying and strengthening the bird conservation movement.
In the News
- News Coverage: National Wild Turkey Federation Opens New Train System
January 8, 2018
- News Article: There's Something Fishy Going on in the Fraser Basin
December 21, 2017
- News Article: Study Shows Sustainable Forestry Sustains These 5 Birds
December 15, 2017
- News Article: Giving Thanks for Four Decads of Protecting Turkeys
November 21, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- Click here for more archived news