The “Fédération des producteurs forestiers du Québec” (FPFQ) has released the fourth edition of the “Sound Forestry Practices for Private Woodlots Field Guide,” which is used by small woodlot owners and forest managers to promote responsible forest management. The updated guide was supported in part by a $10,000 SFI Community Partnerships Grant. Download a copy of the guide (French only).
This newest edition includes enhanced content covering key themes such as identifying watercourse crossing features and wetlands, conservation of wildlife habitat, timber measurement and stacking for transport, sugarbush development and tree-felling safety regulations. The online version of the guide also features videos.
Within the province of Quebec, the guide is becoming an essential tool for implementing the requirements of the SFI Fiber Sourcing Standard, which requires manufacturers to reach out to landowners and to also ensure training of timber producers. The FPFQ Guide is commonly used by SFI Program Participants to help them address the standard’s requirements. On an annual basis, SFI Program Participants provide training to more than 300 woodlot owners and close to 550 forestry contractors and producers in Quebec.
Objective 2 of the 2015-2019 SFI Fiber Sourcing Standard seeks to broaden the practice of sustainable forestry through the use of best management practices to protect water quality. The FPFQ guide’s information on crossing streams and other water courses is an example of how it supports SFI’s approach to protecting water quality.
Objective 7 of the standard aims to promote sustainable forestry through public outreach, education, and involvement and to support the efforts of SFI Implementation Committees. The guide embodies this educational approach.
In addition to the Fédération des producteurs forestiers du Québec, partners include 13 forest-related marketing boards in Quebec, the Quebec SFI Implementation Committee, Canadian forest service and the Fondation de la Faune du Québec (FFQ).
Completed Projects Short Videos
Safe Tree Felling
How to Become a Forest Producer
White Tail Deer Habitat Management
About Fédération des producteurs forestiers du Québec
The FPFQ is the provincial advocacy organization responsible for promoting the best interests of 130,000 woodlot owners. Its actions are focused on the protection and development of private woodlots.
In the News
- News Coverage: National Wild Turkey Federation Opens New Train System
January 8, 2018
- News Article: There's Something Fishy Going on in the Fraser Basin
December 21, 2017
- News Article: Study Shows Sustainable Forestry Sustains These 5 Birds
December 15, 2017
- News Article: Giving Thanks for Four Decads of Protecting Turkeys
November 21, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- Click here for more archived news