Fundy Model Forest will receive $42,015 over two years from the SFI Conservation and Community Partnerships Grant program to extend long-standing research exploring the effects of timber harvesting on forest biodiversity. This study provides a unique opportunity to study impacts 20 years post-harvest at a site where initial biodiversity studies were started in 1992. Using established research techniques, this project will revisit original study sites and plots to re-measure indicators related to water quality, fish, plants and birds to determine the extent to which initial disturbances have recovered or changed over time. Findings will provide data and recommendations for future forest practices, informing forest management applications on a broad range of sites. The project supports several elements of the SFI certification standard, including goals related to continual improvement, forest research, conservation of biological diversity, water quality, and wildlife habitat.
Fundy Model Forest will partner with a variety of academic partners and SFI Program Participants including the University of New Brunswick Saint John, the University of Moncton, and JD Irving Ltd.
About Fundy Model Forest
The Fundy Model Forest is engaged in advancing sustainable forests and sustainable communities. Working with partnerships, projects are underway to promote non-traditional forest products, to assist community planning, and to evaluate the potential of wood biomass, and to support outdoor education and habitate stewardship programs.
In the News
- News Coverage: National Wild Turkey Federation Opens New Train System
January 8, 2018
- News Article: There's Something Fishy Going on in the Fraser Basin
December 21, 2017
- News Article: Study Shows Sustainable Forestry Sustains These 5 Birds
December 15, 2017
- News Article: Giving Thanks for Four Decads of Protecting Turkeys
November 21, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- Click here for more archived news