The Georgia SIC, along with landowners, industry, state agencies, foresters, loggers, and others, received $5,000 toward a Habitat for Humanity home build in Macon, GA. The home-build will be part of a video story of the forestry cycle from seedling to forest to mill to products and replanting to begin the cycle anew.
Supporting the SFI Standard
The project will support SFI 2010-2014 Standard Objective 17: Community Involvement in the Practice of Sustainable Forestry, including Performance Measure 17.2 requiring that program participants support and promote public outreach, education and involvement related to sustainable forestry management.
In addition to the Georgia SFI Implementation Committee, partners include Georgia Forestry Association Emerging Leaders; Georgia Forestry Commission; Georgia Forestry Foundation; Georgia Tree Farm Committee; Georgia Division-Society of American Foresters; and Southeastern Wood Producers Association.
About Georgia SIC
The SFI program responds to local needs and issues across North America through 35 SFI Implementation Committees at the state, provincial or regional level. This unique grassroots network involves private landowners, independent loggers, forestry professionals, local governments agencies, academics, scientists, and conservationists. The Georgia SFI Implementation Committee works behind the scenes supporting responsible forestry, wood procurement and harevsting in Georgia.
In the News
- News Coverage: National Wild Turkey Federation Opens New Train System
January 8, 2018
- News Article: There's Something Fishy Going on in the Fraser Basin
December 21, 2017
- News Article: Study Shows Sustainable Forestry Sustains These 5 Birds
December 15, 2017
- News Article: Giving Thanks for Four Decads of Protecting Turkeys
November 21, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- Click here for more archived news