Over the past several decades Detroit has lost tens of millions of trees due to resource constraints, urban expansion, Dutch Elm Disease and Emerald Ash Borer. As part of a comprehensive urban forest restoration effort SFI Inc. will provide $5,000 to support the Greening of Detroit's 2014 Citizen Forester Program to recruit and train 50 new volunteer Citizen Foresters. The training program will inform participants about the SFI program and the importance of sustainable forest management and feature SFI-labeled products. The Citizen Foresters will then take on a leadership role in the subsequent tree plantings throughout Detroit as part of Greening of Detroit’s holistic approach to restore tree cover in a strategic manner providing a wide range of benefits to residents.
Supporting the SFI Standard
The Greening of Detroit’s Citizen Forester program supports the SFI program goals by strengthening sustainable forests, improving the sustainability of communities and addressing climate change. This grant directly addresses Objective 17: Community Involvement in the Practice of Sustainable Forestry and components of the SFI standard relating to aesthetics and recreation, and training and education.
The Greening of Detroit will partner with the Michigan SFI Implementation Committee.
About Greening of Detroit
The Greening of Detroit is a well-established, nonprofit resource agency that partners with federal, state and local agencies, corporations and foundations to assist neighborhood groups, churches and schools in their efforts to improve the ecosystem in Detroit through tree planting projects, environmental education, urban agriculture, open space reclamation, vacant land management, and workforce development programs.
Transforming this city from a post-industrial urban center into a healthier, safer and greener environment will take commitment and a bold new way of thinking. We are ready for that challenge.
In the News
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- News Article - Teaching Our Children to Conserve Wild Spaces
January 23, 2017
- News Article - MSU Architecture Students Recognized for Design Studio Plans that Showcases Mid-Rise Wood Buildings
December 14, 2016
- Press Release - Habitat for Humanity Is 24-0 at Clemson Homecoming Games
October 17, 2016
- Press Release - Middle Schoolers Flock Together to Build a Better Future for Birds
September 6, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Launches Conservation Impact Project to Deliver Metrics for Well-Managed Forests
September 2, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Opens RFP Inviting New Partnerships for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America - August 8, 2016
- News Article - Finnegan: Applying innovative research to conserve caribou
June 3, 2016
- News Article - Opinion: Protecting the treasure that is Canada's boreal forest
March 17, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Partnering for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America
February 11, 2016
- Click here for more archived news