Over the past several decades Detroit has lost tens of millions of trees due to resource constraints, urban expansion, Dutch Elm Disease and Emerald Ash Borer. As part of a comprehensive urban forest restoration effort SFI Inc. will provide $5,000 to support the Greening of Detroit's 2014 Citizen Forester Program to recruit and train 50 new volunteer Citizen Foresters. The training program will inform participants about the SFI program and the importance of sustainable forest management and feature SFI-labeled products. The Citizen Foresters will then take on a leadership role in the subsequent tree plantings throughout Detroit as part of Greening of Detroit’s holistic approach to restore tree cover in a strategic manner providing a wide range of benefits to residents.
Supporting the SFI Standard
The Greening of Detroit’s Citizen Forester program supports the SFI program goals by strengthening sustainable forests, improving the sustainability of communities and addressing climate change. This grant directly addresses Objective 17: Community Involvement in the Practice of Sustainable Forestry and components of the SFI standard relating to aesthetics and recreation, and training and education.
The Greening of Detroit will partner with the Michigan SFI Implementation Committee.
About Greening of Detroit
The Greening of Detroit is a well-established, nonprofit resource agency that partners with federal, state and local agencies, corporations and foundations to assist neighborhood groups, churches and schools in their efforts to improve the ecosystem in Detroit through tree planting projects, environmental education, urban agriculture, open space reclamation, vacant land management, and workforce development programs.
Transforming this city from a post-industrial urban center into a healthier, safer and greener environment will take commitment and a bold new way of thinking. We are ready for that challenge.
In the News
- News Article: New Forest Reserach Project Works to Conserve Caribou in Western Alberta
September 11, 2018
- News Article: Calling All Birders - A New Study is Seeking Participants in the Southeast U.S. This Summer
June 13, 2018
- News Article: Go Inside the Carbon Vault - Why It's Critical to Know What's Beneath the Boreal Forest
June 5, 2018
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration From 45 Different Groups Across the U.S. and Canada
March 6, 2018
- News Article: Georgia Forestry Foundation Takes on Statewide Literacy
March 5, 2018
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 102 Different Groups Spanning the U.S. and Canada
March 1, 2018
- News Article: Training and Jobs Add Fire Power
February 22, 2018
- News Coverage: National Wild Turkey Federation Opens New Train System
January 8, 2018
- News Article: There's Something Fishy Going on in the Fraser Basin
December 21, 2017
- News Article: Study Shows Sustainable Forestry Sustains These 5 Birds
December 15, 2017
- News Article: Giving Thanks for Four Decads of Protecting Turkeys
November 21, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- Click here for more archived news