Forests not only provide habitat for wildlife, they provide the building materials that comprise our homes. While protecting wildlife habitat through sustainable management is integral to the SFI Standard, helping at-need individuals find shelter is an important value we also support. That’s why SFI Inc. is continuing to partner with Habitat for Humanity by providing $5,000 to support a sustainable and energy efficient home build. In addition to grant support, several SFI program participants will contribute as volunteers and the build will feature SFI certified building products. The Greenwood Habitat affiliate hosting the build will also explain the importance of SFI and sustainable forest management to volunteers participating in the build. This was also highlighted through an optional tour of Norbord’s OSB production facility where building products certified to the SFI standard are manufactured.
Supporting the SFI Standard
The project supports SFI 2010-2014 Standard Objective 17: Community Involvement in the Practice of Sustainable Forestry.
Greenwood Area Habitat for Humanity will partner with the South Carolina SFI Implementation Committee and a wide range of local community groups and SFI program participants.
About Habitat for Humanity
Habitat for Humanity International is an ecumenical Christian organization founded in 1976 by a successful Georgia lawyer, Millard Fuller. As of the year 2006, Habitat has built more than 200,000 houses around the world, providing more than 1,000,000 people in more than 3,000 communities with safe, decent, affordable shelter.
In 1988, Tom Bryson, a retired county agent, collaborating with local citizens applied for and was granted affiliation. Since that time, Greenwood Area Habitat for Humanity (GAHFH) has served 72 families. Using volunteer labor and tax-deductible donations of money and materials, GAHFH constructs these homes with the help of partner families.
In the News
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- News Article - Teaching Our Children to Conserve Wild Spaces
January 23, 2017
- News Article - MSU Architecture Students Recognized for Design Studio Plans that Showcases Mid-Rise Wood Buildings
December 14, 2016
- Press Release - Habitat for Humanity Is 24-0 at Clemson Homecoming Games
October 17, 2016
- Press Release - Middle Schoolers Flock Together to Build a Better Future for Birds
September 6, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Launches Conservation Impact Project to Deliver Metrics for Well-Managed Forests
September 2, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Opens RFP Inviting New Partnerships for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America - August 8, 2016
- News Article - Finnegan: Applying innovative research to conserve caribou
June 3, 2016
- News Article - Opinion: Protecting the treasure that is Canada's boreal forest
March 17, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Partnering for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America
February 11, 2016
- Click here for more archived news