In 2013, National Audubon Society was awarded $60,000 to increase accessibility of the latest bird science materials and conservation best management practices for forest managers in the Eastern United States. The project was a collaborative effort being conducted by six Audubon State programs with input and contributions from a wide range of experts and stakeholders, including SFI Program Participants. Following numerous workshops and field tours, Audubon published and distributed region-specific forest management recommendations, tailored to foresters and land managers, for the major forest types in the Atlantic Flyway. Audubon also conducted outreach workshops utilizing recommendations from key forest industry partners to train and promote best management practices in bird conservation.
This project supports several of SFI’s key objectives, including protection of critically imperiled species and forests with exceptional conservation value, as well training for forest professionals and forest landowners.
This project was a collaboration between six Audubon State Programs: Vermont, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina. Other Partners include Empire State Forest Products Association.
Now in its second century, Audubon connects people with birds, nature and the environment that supports us all. Our national network of community-based nature centers, chapters, scientific, education, and advocacy programs engages millions of people from all walks of life in conservation action to protect and restore the natural world.
- Press Release: SFI and Audubon Team Up Bird Scientists with Forest Managers to Implement Conservation Programs - June 18, 2013
In the News
- News Coverage: National Wild Turkey Federation Opens New Train System
January 8, 2018
- News Article: There's Something Fishy Going on in the Fraser Basin
December 21, 2017
- News Article: Study Shows Sustainable Forestry Sustains These 5 Birds
December 15, 2017
- News Article: Giving Thanks for Four Decads of Protecting Turkeys
November 21, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- Click here for more archived news