The Philmont Scout Ranch received $5,000 for the Visiting Foresters Program. Visiting Foresters will teach sustainable forest management principles and skills to over 5,000 youth visiting Philmont Scout Ranch’s Demonstration Forest in 2013. Participating youth will gain hands on forestry education and experience from national forestry experts and will be able to apply this new knowledge on Philmont’s SFI certified forest.
Supporting the SFI Standard
The project will support SFI 2010-2014 Standard Objective 5: Management of Visual Quality and Recreational Benefits; Objective 16: Training and Education and Objective 17: Community Involvement in the Practice of Sustainable Forestry, including Performance Measure 17.2 requiring that program participants support and promote public outreach, education and involvement related to sustainable forestry management.
In addition to the Boy Scouts of America’s Philmont Scout Ranch, partners include the New Mexico Energy, Minerals, and Natural Resources Department; Forest Guild; Southwest Society of American Foresters; New Mexico Tree Farm Committee.
About Philmont Scout Ranch
More than 950,000 Scouts, Venturers, and leaders have experienced the adventure of the Philmont Scout Ranch since 1939. It is the Boy Scouts of America's largest, national High Adventure Base with 34 staffed camps and 55 trail camps that provide an unforgettable adventure in the high country along hundreds of miles of rugged, rocky trail. The Ranch is certified to the SFI 2010-2014 Standard.
In the News
- News Coverage: National Wild Turkey Federation Opens New Train System
January 8, 2018
- News Article: There's Something Fishy Going on in the Fraser Basin
December 21, 2017
- News Article: Study Shows Sustainable Forestry Sustains These 5 Birds
December 15, 2017
- News Article: Giving Thanks for Four Decads of Protecting Turkeys
November 21, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- Click here for more archived news