In 2013, The Pinchot Institute was awarded $20,000 to convene a stakeholder dialogue on European Union sustainability criteria for forest-sourced biomass material. This effort improved understanding, communication, and coordination among stakeholders in the U.S. and Europe about U.S. forestry practices and sustainability programs. The two-day workshop was hosted in the U.S. South and featured a field tour of certified and non-certified forests, engaging U.S. and European stakeholders to consider aspects of sustainable biomass procurement and methods of mitigating environmental risks along the supply chain. The project provided an opportunity for EU authorities to inform pellet producers regarding current and anticipated sustainable sourcing requirements. It also helped US-based forest managers and pellet producers by highlight existing wood procurement pathways and sustainability practices (including SFI forest management and fiber sourcing standards), and alignment with proposed EU rules. The Institute generated a publically available presentation and briefing book containing the lessons learned from the workshop.
The grant contributed to the SFI Standard revision process and the SFI program’s alignment with EU requirements.
The Pinchot Institute’s project was also supported by the International Energy Agency’s Bioenergy task groups, The Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification, E.ON, Georgia Forestry Commission, Weyerhaeuser, MeadWestvaco Foundation, and Plum Creek.
About Pinchot Institute for Conservation
The Pinchot Institute advances conservation and sustainable natural resource management by developing innovative, practical, and broadly-supported solutions to conservation challenges and opportunities. The is accomplished through nonpartisan research, education and technical assistance on key issues influencing the future of conservation and sustainable natural resource management.
In the News
- News Coverage: National Wild Turkey Federation Opens New Train System
January 8, 2018
- News Article: There's Something Fishy Going on in the Fraser Basin
December 21, 2017
- News Article: Study Shows Sustainable Forestry Sustains These 5 Birds
December 15, 2017
- News Article: Giving Thanks for Four Decads of Protecting Turkeys
November 21, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- Click here for more archived news