Forests and forested wetlands provide critical carbon storage and may play an important role in mitigating climate change, but the quantification methods for boreal wetlands are poorly understood. To investigate these dynamics the Saskatchewan Research Council (SRC) will receive $150,000 over three years to develop practical methods for quantifying carbon sequestration in upland boreal forests and wetlands.
SRC will develop implementable protocol which is affordable, based on internationally accepted methods, and applicable across other SFI-certified landscapes. SRC will create tools to both sample carbon in the field and calculate carbon based on vegetation and soil field data. Additionally, SRC will conduct a case study on forestlands managed by SFI Program Participant Louisiana-Pacific Canada Ltd. to ensure the accuracy of tools and protocol.
SRC and Partners will share results through peer-reviewed scientific journals, international conferences, and other local outreach. This project will help SFI Program Participants to better understand carbon storage in forested wetlands. It will also support SFI Program Participants in their efforts to monitor the relationship between regional climate models and resiliency of their own well-managed forests.
About Saskatchewan Research Council
The Saskatchewan Research Council (SRC) is one of Canada’s leading providers of applied research, development and demonstration (RD&D) and technology commercialization.
With more than 350 employees, $73 million in annual revenue and over 68 years of RD&D experience, SRC provides products and services to its 1,500 clients in 20 countries around the world.
In the News
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- News Article - Teaching Our Children to Conserve Wild Spaces
January 23, 2017
- News Article - MSU Architecture Students Recognized for Design Studio Plans that Showcases Mid-Rise Wood Buildings
December 14, 2016
- Press Release - Habitat for Humanity Is 24-0 at Clemson Homecoming Games
October 17, 2016
- Press Release - Middle Schoolers Flock Together to Build a Better Future for Birds
September 6, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Launches Conservation Impact Project to Deliver Metrics for Well-Managed Forests
September 2, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Opens RFP Inviting New Partnerships for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America - August 8, 2016
- News Article - Finnegan: Applying innovative research to conserve caribou
June 3, 2016
- News Article - Opinion: Protecting the treasure that is Canada's boreal forest
March 17, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Partnering for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America
February 11, 2016
- Click here for more archived news