The University of Tennessee Forest Resources Research and Education Center (FRREP) was awarded $9,500 in 2012 to install demonstration sites to test and illustrate how best management practices (BMPs) protect water quality and support sustainable forestry practices. The primary focus of demonstration sites was erosion control measures, which included rock aggregate and crushed/reclaimed asphalt on selected sections of the University’s FRREP Forest Road Demonstration site. Techniques that were initially determined to be more effective progressed to a more rigorous controlled and replicated study to better refine the BMP.
Project results were used to improve logger training programs as required under Sustainable Forestry Initiative certification. This project advanced several SFI objectives, including support for logger training, public outreach, and continuous improvement for forest haul/access road construction.
In addition to the Forest Resources Research and Education Centre, partners included the University of Tennessee Department of Biosystems Engineering and Soil Science, Tennessee SFI Implementation.
About the Forest Research and Education Center
The University of Tennessee Forest Resources Research and Education Center is a field research laboratory that is a regionally recognized leader in developing new technologies applicable to modern forestry and wildlife resources management and environmental stewardship. It is one of 10 research and education centers in the University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture, Agricultural Experiment Station system. With headquarters in Oak Ridge, TN, the Forestry Resources Center comprises three forest units located in East and Middle Tennessee.
- News Release- SFI Conservation Grants to Focus on Protecting Water Resources
May 30, 2012
In the News
- News Coverage: National Wild Turkey Federation Opens New Train System
January 8, 2018
- News Article: There's Something Fishy Going on in the Fraser Basin
December 21, 2017
- News Article: Study Shows Sustainable Forestry Sustains These 5 Birds
December 15, 2017
- News Article: Giving Thanks for Four Decads of Protecting Turkeys
November 21, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- Click here for more archived news