Lauderdale County Habitat for Humanity received $3,500 in 2011 to pay part of the cost of a Habitat for Humanity home certified to the ANSI ICC 700 National Green Building Standard using SFI-certified products.
The Mississippi based project promoted the value of SFI certification and the ANSI National Green Building Standard. The project involved youth groups such as Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and 4-H helping develop future volunteers for Habitat while promoting the value of the forest industry.
Supporting the SFI Standard
The project supports SFI 2010-2014 Standard Objective 17: Community Involvement in the Practice of Sustainable Forestry.
In addition to Lauderdale County Habitat for Humanity, partners included the Mississippi SFI Implementation Committee and other members of the Mississippi forest industry.
About Lauderdale County Habitat for Humanity
Lauderdale County Habitat for Humanity is an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a non-profit, ecumenical Christian organization committed to providing families with the life-changing opportunity to purchase and own decent, affordable homes. Habitat for Humanity builds homes for hard-working, low-income people, and future homeowners put in hundreds of hours of sweat equity, share the labor of homebuilding, and participate in valuable training and preparation sessions. In return, their lives are transformed by the positive experience of working with their community in building their home, and the many benefits that come from having a place to call home.
- Press Release- SFI Funds Community-based Education and Green Building Projects
June 20, 2011
In the News
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- News Article - Teaching Our Children to Conserve Wild Spaces
January 23, 2017
- News Article - MSU Architecture Students Recognized for Design Studio Plans that Showcases Mid-Rise Wood Buildings
December 14, 2016
- Press Release - Habitat for Humanity Is 24-0 at Clemson Homecoming Games
October 17, 2016
- Press Release - Middle Schoolers Flock Together to Build a Better Future for Birds
September 6, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Launches Conservation Impact Project to Deliver Metrics for Well-Managed Forests
September 2, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Opens RFP Inviting New Partnerships for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America - August 8, 2016
- News Article - Finnegan: Applying innovative research to conserve caribou
June 3, 2016
- News Article - Opinion: Protecting the treasure that is Canada's boreal forest
March 17, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Partnering for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America
February 11, 2016
- Click here for more archived news