The Mississippi SFI Implementation Committee received $3,000 in 2011 to sponsor incentives for team competition in FFA and 4-H forestry contests to promote awareness of sustainable forestry among students and their leaders, educators and advisors.
Youth involved in FFA and 4-H forestry programs were taught basic forestry principles and practices facilitating increased appreciation for sustainable forestry and SFI certification. This project stimulated a connection between youth forestry programs and the Mississippi forestry community while providing important public outreach.
Supporting the SFI Standard
This project supports SFI 2010-2014 Standard Objective 17: Community Involvement in the Practice of Sustainable Forestry, including Performance Measure 17.2 requiring that program participants support and promote public outreach, education and involvement related to sustainable forestry management.
Members of the Mississippi SFI Implementation Committee include forest companies, private landowners, independent loggers, forestry professionals, local government agencies, academics, scientists, and conservationists.
About Mississippi SIC
The SFI program responds to local needs and issues across North America through 35 SFI Implementation Committees at the state, provincial or regional level. This unique grassroots network involves private landowners, independent loggers, forestry professionals, local government agencies, academics, scientists, and conservationists. The Mississippi SFI Implementation Committee has 49 members representing forest industries, environmental groups, consulting foresters, conservation agencies, Mississippi State University, and non-industrial forest owners. It is a strong supporter of landowner and logger education, youth forestry programs, teacher workshops, and public outreach and communications. The Mississippi SFI Implementation Committee also supports Habitat for Humanity, Tree Farm Program, and a forestry exhibit in the new Mississippi Children's Museum, which reaches 250,000 people annually.
- Press Release- SFI Funds Community-based Education and Green Building Projects
June 20, 2011
In the News
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- News Article - Teaching Our Children to Conserve Wild Spaces
January 23, 2017
- News Article - MSU Architecture Students Recognized for Design Studio Plans that Showcases Mid-Rise Wood Buildings
December 14, 2016
- Press Release - Habitat for Humanity Is 24-0 at Clemson Homecoming Games
October 17, 2016
- Press Release - Middle Schoolers Flock Together to Build a Better Future for Birds
September 6, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Launches Conservation Impact Project to Deliver Metrics for Well-Managed Forests
September 2, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Opens RFP Inviting New Partnerships for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America - August 8, 2016
- News Article - Finnegan: Applying innovative research to conserve caribou
June 3, 2016
- News Article - Opinion: Protecting the treasure that is Canada's boreal forest
March 17, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Partnering for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America
February 11, 2016
- Click here for more archived news