Northwest Natural Resources Institute received $4,200 in 2011 to support their annual K-12 Natural Resources Teacher Workshop in Spokane, WA.
A portion of the workshop was dedicated to informing teachers about the care and attention forestry professionals give to being good stewards of forestlands; providing an opportunity to learn forestry skills from foresters; and showcasing SFI-certified management, procurement, and product manufacturing.
Educators were exposed to harvesting activities and the extensive management planning taking place within a forest certified to the SFI Standard, as well as the planning and regulatory requirements involved in reforestation, growth and yield, stand tending, best management practices and road building. Participants then toured lands and manufacturing facilities certified to the SFI Standard. Additionally participants were required to fill out an evaluation form with the information collected being used to improve future workshops.
Supporting the SFI Standard
This project supports SFI 2010-2014 Standard Objective 17: Community Involvement in the Practice of Sustainable Forestry, including Performance Measure 17.2 requiring that program participants support and promote public outreach, education and involvement related to sustainable forest management.
Partners included Forest Capital Partners LLC and Boise Cascade LLC
About Northwest Natural Resources Institute
The mission of the Northwest Natural Resources Institute is to cultivate a better understanding of the daily importance of forest, agricultural, mineral, forest and water resources by educating teachers and students in Washington State about the science, economic and societal aspects of the region's natural resources. It accomplishes this through educational programs.
- Press Release- SFI Funds Community-based Education and Green Building Projects
June 20, 2011
In the News
- News Coverage: National Wild Turkey Federation Opens New Train System
January 8, 2018
- News Article: There's Something Fishy Going on in the Fraser Basin
December 21, 2017
- News Article: Study Shows Sustainable Forestry Sustains These 5 Birds
December 15, 2017
- News Article: Giving Thanks for Four Decads of Protecting Turkeys
November 21, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Opens Request For Proposals: Seeks New Partners for Conservation and Community Projects in the U.S. and Canada
August 8, 2017
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- Click here for more archived news