Every year, more than 500 Clemson University students come together to build a Habitat house for a local family on the campus’ Bowman Field, during the 10 days leading up to the homecoming football game. Clemson University’s Habitat chapter will receive a $10,000 grant to build the 24th Annual Homecoming House.
After the 10-day build, the walls and roof are up, the drywall and siding have been hung, and the windows, doors, and basic electricity and plumbing have been installed. The house is opened for public viewing on Saturday, and then moved to a local neighborhood. Wood products certified to the SFI Standard will be used in the build.
In addition to the Clemson University Campus Chapter of Habitat for Humanity, partners include the South Carolina SFI Implementation Committee and the Lutheran Campus Ministry at Clemson.
About Clemson University Campus Chapter of Habitat for Humanity
The Clemson University Campus Chapter of Habitat for Humanity was established in 1994 following its participation in the building of a home on Bowman Field during the 1993 homecoming celebration. Since then, the chapter has organized several outstanding projects, including the 2001 "Blitz Build" during which five houses were completed. In 2003, Clemson Habitat spurred the building of the first ever Youth United home in partnership with D.W. Daniel High School in Central, South Carolina.
In the News
- News Article: Teaching Youth About Sustainable Forestry
June 11, 2017
- Blog: Listening to the Forest
May 19, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Community Grants Feature Collaboration from 50 Different Groups Spanning North America
April 6, 2017
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- News Article - Teaching Our Children to Conserve Wild Spaces
January 23, 2017
- News Article - MSU Architecture Students Recognized for Design Studio Plans that Showcases Mid-Rise Wood Buildings
December 14, 2016
- Press Release - Habitat for Humanity Is 24-0 at Clemson Homecoming Games
October 17, 2016
- Press Release - Middle Schoolers Flock Together to Build a Better Future for Birds
September 6, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Launches Conservation Impact Project to Deliver Metrics for Well-Managed Forests
September 2, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Opens RFP Inviting New Partnerships for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America - August 8, 2016
- News Article - Finnegan: Applying innovative research to conserve caribou
June 3, 2016
- News Article - Opinion: Protecting the treasure that is Canada's boreal forest
March 17, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Partnering for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America
February 11, 2016
- Click here for more archived news