Cornell University will engage local youth in the construction of nest box trails for the benefit of native birds and the environment. Wood products certified to the SFI Standard will be used to build the nest boxes. The university will also develop a free online curriculum, to expand the project’s reach, and deliver 18 workshops with their partners to test curriculum and engage students.
Through this series of workshops focused on youth, family and community, the curriculum will include lessons in science (biology, ecology, habitat) and technology (mapping, data exploration) surrounding the NestWatch citizen-science project for afterschool and 4-H audiences. Cornell University will receive $8,733 in 2016, 2017 and 2018 to complete this project.
In addition to the Cornell University, partners include the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Cornell Co-Op Extension Jefferson County and Columbia/Greene Counties, and New York State 4-H.
About the Cornell Lab of Ornithology
The Cornell Lab of Ornithology is a world leader in the study, appreciation, and conservation of birds. Its hallmarks are scientific excellence and technological innovation to advance the understanding of nature and to engage people of all ages in learning about birds and protecting the planet.
In the News
- News Article - Teaching Our Children to Conserve Wild Spaces
January 23, 2017
- News Article - MSU Architecture Students Recognized for Design Studio Plans that Showcases Mid-Rise Wood Buildings
December 14, 2016
- Press Release - Habitat for Humanity Is 24-0 at Clemson Homecoming Games
October 17, 2016
- Press Release - Middle Schoolers Flock Together to Build a Better Future for Birds
September 6, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Launches Conservation Impact Project to Deliver Metrics for Well-Managed Forests
September 2, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Opens RFP Inviting New Partnerships for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America - August 8, 2016
- News Article - Finnegan: Applying innovative research to conserve caribou
June 3, 2016
- News Article - Opinion: Protecting the treasure that is Canada's boreal forest
March 17, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Partnering for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America
February 11, 2016
- Click here for more archived news