The “Fédération des producteurs forestiers du Québec” (FPFQ) has released the fourth edition of the “Sound Forestry Practices for Private Woodlots Field Guide,” which is used by small woodlot owners and forest managers to promote responsible forest management. The updated guide was supported in part by a $10,000 SFI Community Partnerships Grant. Download a copy of the guide (French only).
This newest edition includes enhanced content covering key themes such as identifying watercourse crossing features and wetlands, conservation of wildlife habitat, timber measurement and stacking for transport, sugarbush development and tree-felling safety regulations. The online version of the guide also features videos.
Within the province of Quebec, the guide is becoming an essential tool for implementing the requirements of the SFI Fiber Sourcing Standard, which requires manufacturers to reach out to landowners and to also ensure training of timber producers. The FPFQ Guide is commonly used by SFI Program Participants to help them address the standard’s requirements. On an annual basis, SFI Program Participants provide training to more than 300 woodlot owners and close to 550 forestry contractors and producers in Quebec.
Objective 2 of the 2015-2019 SFI Fiber Sourcing Standard seeks to broaden the practice of sustainable forestry through the use of best management practices to protect water quality. The FPFQ guide’s information on crossing streams and other water courses is an example of how it supports SFI’s approach to protecting water quality.
Objective 7 of the standard aims to promote sustainable forestry through public outreach, education, and involvement and to support the efforts of SFI Implementation Committees. The guide embodies this educational approach.
In addition to the Fédération des producteurs forestiers du Québec, partners include 13 forest-related marketing boards in Quebec, the Quebec SFI Implementation Committee, Canadian forest service and the Fondation de la Faune du Québec (FFQ).
About Fédération des producteurs forestiers du Québec
The FPFQ is the provincial advocacy organization responsible for promoting the best interests of 130,000 woodlot owners. Its actions are focused on the protection and development of private woodlots.
In the News
- News Article - Finnegan: Applying innovative reserach to conserve caribou
June 3, 2016
- News Article - Opinion: Protecting the treasure that is Canada's boreal forest
March 17, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Partnering for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America
February 11, 2016
- Press Release - Devastation to Restoration: Communities for Healthy Forests Transforms Post-Fire Rehabilitation into Learning Experience for Students
April 9, 2015
- TreeHugger Article - A Half Dozen Projects That Are For the Birds
March 17, 2015
- Press Release - SFI Supports Ecosystem Restoration through Partnership with The Longleaf Alliance
June 17, 2014
- Press Release - Bird Lovers Unite with Biologists to Keep Migratory Bird Habitats Safe Across Canada
May 28, 2014
- Press Release - SFI and U.S. Endowment to Support Heritage of African American Landowners through Sustainable Forestry
May 20, 2014
- Press Release - Shaping the Forest of the Future in Partnership with Communities and Youth Across North America
May 19, 2014
- Press Release - SFI Invests in Forest Conservation Research
April 21, 2014
- Press Release - Restoration Commences on Area Devestated by Douglas Complex Fires
April 15, 2014
- Press Release - SFI Investment in Forest Research Strengthens Conservation
January 8, 2014
- Press Release - SFI Forest Partners Program and American Tree Farm System Grow Certification in South Carolina
September 19, 2013
- Press Release - SFI and Audubon Team Up Bird Scientists with Forest Managers to Implement Conservation Programs
June 18, 2013
- Press Release- SFI Pledges $400,000 in 2013 for Conservation Research
February 6, 2013
- Press Release- SFI Awards Grant to Support Water Quality Research
July 16, 2012
- Press Release- State Foresters Receive SFI Grant to Measure Water Quality Successes
July 11, 2012
- Press Release- New Online Tool Supports Fight Against Illegal Logging
June 27, 2012
- Press Release- SFI Awards $32,000 Research Grant to Protect Water Resources in the Boreal Forest
May 30, 2012
- SFI Grant Supports Manual to Assist American Chestnut Restoration
November 21, 2011
- Evans Lake receives SFI Grant for Forest Education Symposium
June 23, 2011
- Press Release- SFI Funds Community-based Education and Green Building Projects
June 20, 2011
- JustMeans headline news video - SFI and Audubon NY
June 17, 2011
- Press Release- SFI Grant Helps Audubon New York Link Forest Management to Bird Conservation
June 6, 2011