Northwest Natural Resources Institute received $4,200 in 2011 to support their annual K-12 Natural Resources Teacher Workshop in Spokane, WA.
A portion of the workshop was dedicated to informing teachers about the care and attention forestry professionals give to being good stewards of forestlands; providing an opportunity to learn forestry skills from foresters; and showcasing SFI-certified management, procurement, and product manufacturing.
Educators were exposed to harvesting activities and the extensive management planning taking place within a forest certified to the SFI Standard, as well as the planning and regulatory requirements involved in reforestation, growth and yield, stand tending, best management practices and road building. Participants then toured lands and manufacturing facilities certified to the SFI Standard. Additionally participants were required to fill out an evaluation form with the information collected being used to improve future workshops.
Supporting the SFI Standard
This project supports SFI 2010-2014 Standard Objective 17: Community Involvement in the Practice of Sustainable Forestry, including Performance Measure 17.2 requiring that program participants support and promote public outreach, education and involvement related to sustainable forest management.
Partners included Forest Capital Partners LLC and Boise Cascade LLC
About Northwest Natural Resources Institute
The mission of the Northwest Natural Resources Institute is to cultivate a better understanding of the daily importance of forest, agricultural, mineral, forest and water resources by educating teachers and students in Washington State about the science, economic and societal aspects of the region's natural resources. It accomplishes this through educational programs.
- Press Release- SFI Funds Community-based Education and Green Building Projects
June 20, 2011
In the News
- Press Release: SFI Conservation Grants Feature Collaboration from 37 Different Groups Spanning North America
February 27, 2017
- News Article - Teaching Our Children to Conserve Wild Spaces
January 23, 2017
- News Article - MSU Architecture Students Recognized for Design Studio Plans that Showcases Mid-Rise Wood Buildings
December 14, 2016
- Press Release - Habitat for Humanity Is 24-0 at Clemson Homecoming Games
October 17, 2016
- Press Release - Middle Schoolers Flock Together to Build a Better Future for Birds
September 6, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Launches Conservation Impact Project to Deliver Metrics for Well-Managed Forests
September 2, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Opens RFP Inviting New Partnerships for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America - August 8, 2016
- News Article - Finnegan: Applying innovative research to conserve caribou
June 3, 2016
- News Article - Opinion: Protecting the treasure that is Canada's boreal forest
March 17, 2016
- Press Release - SFI Partnering for Conservation and Community Impact Throughout North America
February 11, 2016
- Click here for more archived news