Since 2008, SFI Inc. and SFI Implementation Committees have partnered with Habitat for Humanity. The SFI community has donated countless volunteer hours and certified products to more than a dozen Habitat for Humanity builds across Canada and the U.S.
The partnership between SFI and Habitat for Humanity goes beyond just helping individual families have a home of their own — the wider community benefits as safe, affordable housing is added to a neighborhood. Habitat homes are also some of the greenest affordable housing developments in Canada and the U.S. Using building materials certified to SFI means that the wood comes from responsibly managed forests, which benefits forests and the communities that rely on them.
SFI partners with both Habitat for Humanity International and Habitat for Humanity Canada and works on both sides of the border to improve quality of life, raise awareness of sustainable forestry and encourage green building using products certified to SFI. This partnership highlights the important benefits of healthy forests, responsible sourcing and sustainable communities.
In 2014, SFI and Habitat for Humanity Canada signed a memorandum of mutual support known as Wood 4 Good. This program encourages local home building through SFI’s grassroots network, increases awareness of sourcing wood products certified to the SFI standards, and helps make supply chains more efficient. The partnership also works to encourage collaborative solutions to support Indigenous housing in Canada.
Find out about the Wood 4 Good Program — working together to benefit future homeowners.
- Article: From Crashed Ice to new housing for those in need (March 23, 2017)
- Radio Interview: Habitat Winnipeg CBC interview (July 2016)
- Video: Home Builder Blitz video case study highlight (Summer 2015)
- News Release: SFI and Habitat for Humanity Partner to Provide New Home for Local Greenwood Family (May 18, 2015)
- News Release: SFI Brings the Forest Sector Together with Habitat for Humanity Canada to Improve Quality of Life for Underserved Communities (May 15, 2015)
- Georgia Forestry Community Build Video: Sustainable Forest: A Georgia Success Story
- News Release: SFI and Habitat for Humanity Expand Mutal Support for Reponsibility Built Affordable Homes (February 6, 2014)
- News Release: SFI Funds Community-Based Programs to Support Habitat for Humanity (August 15, 2013)
- News Release: First Ever "Women in Wood" Build Day a Success; Benefits Ottawa First Nations Family (June 26, 2013)
- News Release: Habitat for Humanity Canada Executive Joins SFI Board (May 28, 2013)
- News Release: SFI Supports National Green Building Certification for Habitat for Humanity Homes (November 7, 2011)
- News Release: SFI Participants Support Fredericton Habitat Home (September 1, 2011)
- News Release: SFI Participants Support Building of Burnaby Habitat Home (September 22, 2010)
- News Release: SFI and Built Green Support Oakville Habitat Home (April 21, 2010)
- News Release: SFI Supports Habitat Home for Alderville First Nation (August 13, 2009)
- News Release: SFI Supports Habitat Home for Metis Families (July 14, 2009)
- News Release: St. Louis County Commissioner Keith Nelson Donates Wood to Help Minnesota's SFI build Habitat for Humanity Home in Hibbing (March 20, 2008)
- News Release: Minnesota's SFI Building Habitat for Humanity Home in Hibbing; Project Began Today in Cook with Harvesting of Timber (January 26, 2008)