5 Categories: 1 Winner in EACH Category
Each winner receives a $250 Amazon GIft Card
Submit your photos to SFI’s 2018 Photo Contest today!
To qualify, all photos must be in accordance with the contest rules and must be submitted electronically by midnight (EDT) on July 20, 2018.
Photos taken on land certified to Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) or touched by SFI Fiber Sourcing are preferred for all categories.
Forest scenes in any season. Needs to be taken on land that is (a) certified to the SFI Standard or (b) touched by SFI Fiber Sourcing, which is defined as lands that have produced fiber for a facility certified to the SFI Fiber Sourcing Standard.
Scenes of nature and wildlife.
Working Forests/Green Jobs
Harvesting, mills, loggers, green builders, scientists, and other green jobs in action.
Nature as an outdoor classroom or educational tool.
Home builds, tree plantings, Indigenous communities, and people outside.
Contact: Amanda Suntag
2018 SFI PHOTO CONTEST RULES — OFFICIAL RULES
These official rules govern the 2018 SFI Photo Contest. By participating or attempting to participate in the contest, you will be deemed to have received, understood, and agreed to these official rules.
- WHO ARE THE SPONSORS?
The Sustainable Forestry Initiative Inc.® (SFI®), Suite 750–2121 K Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20037. SFI is an independent non-profit organization. Over 300 million acres/121 million hectares across the U.S. and Canada are certified to the SFI Standards.
Although the contest may be communicated, promoted, or administered by means of a third-party social media or social networking service or site (a “third-party service”), the contest is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, any third-party service; any questions, comments or complaints regarding the contest should be directed to SFI and not to any third-party service.
- WHO MAY ENTER THE CONTEST?
The contest is open only to residents of the U.S. and Canada. No purchase is necessary to enter or win.
Automated, multiple, or duplicate entries are prohibited and may be disqualified.
The following individuals are not eligible to enter the contest:
- Employees or contractors of SFI and their immediate family members, and any persons domiciled with any such employees or contractors.
- Those residing outside the U.S. and Canada.
- Those under the age of majority in their respective province or territory of residence at the time of entry.
- WHEN DOES THE CONTEST START AND END?
You may enter the Contest between 12:01 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) on May 7, 2017 and 11:59 p.m. EDT on July 20, 2018 (the “contest period”).
- HOW DO I ENTER THE CONTEST?
No purchase is necessary to enter the contest. To qualify, all photos must be in accordance with the contest rules and must be submitted electronically by midnight (EDT) on July 20, 2018.
To enter, submit your photograph electronically to: SFIphotos@sfiprogram.org
Please include the following with each submission:
- Photographer’s name
- Photographer’s address
- Photographer’s telephone number
- Photographer’s email address
- Photo caption (title)
- Photo Location — for category 1 please specify: forest management, fiber sourcing, state/province, landowner
- Category you’re entering
The categories for entries are (There is a five-photograph, per-category limit per person.)
- Scenic SFI Forests — Forest scenes in any season. Needs to be taken on land that is (a) certified to the SFI Standard or (b) touched by SFI Fiber Sourcing, which is defined as lands that have produced fiber for a facility certified to the SFI Fiber Sourcing Standard.
- Conservation/Biodiversity — Scenes of nature and wildlife.
- Working Forests/Green Jobs — Harvesting, mills, loggers, green builders, scientists, and other green jobs in action.
- Environmental Education — Nature as an outdoor classroom or educational tool.
- Communities — Home builds, tree plantings, Indigenous communities, and outdoor recreation.
Winners will be required to sign a release of all claims against SFI to receive a prize.
- PHOTO EDITING AND CRITERIA
Photographs must be in digital format. Only emailed entries will be eligible. All digital files must be 8 megabytes or smaller, must be in JPEG or JPG format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 1,600 pixels tall (if a vertical image) with a 150-minimum dpi.
Only minor burning, dodging and/or color correction is acceptable, as is cropping. Any changes to the original photograph must be itemized or the photo will be disqualified.
Watermarks are not acceptable.
- HOW MANY TIMES MAY I ENTER THE CONTEST?
There is a limit of five (5) entries per person per category. Each photo must be unique to the category it is being entered for.
- WHAT ARE THE PRIZES?
There will be one (1) winner selected for each of the five (5) categories for a potential total of five (5) individual winners. Each winner will receive one (1) Amazon gift card for $250 in the currency of the entrant’s country of residence per category won. Entrants may win in more than one category, but each submission must be unique to the category it is being entered for. To illustrate, the same photo may not be submitted to both the Scenic Forest and Conservation/Biodiversity categories, but if an individual submits one photo to Scenic Forest and another photo to Conservation/Biodiversity, they may win in both categories, resulting in a prize of two $250 Amazon gift cards.
- COULD MY ENTRY BE REFUSED OR REJECTED?
Your entry could be refused or rejected if:
- you attempt to enter the contest in a fashion not authorized by these official rules
- your entry contains false or misleading information, or is late, falsified, illegible, damaged, or incomplete or otherwise irregular
- your entry is submitted using robotic, automated, programmed, or other illicit means
- your entry to category 1 is not of land certified to SFI or touched by SFI Fiber Sourcing
- your entry is not in compliance with these official rules
In addition, the sponsors reserve the right to refuse any entry for any other reason they may determine.
- WHAT ARE THE CONDITIONS OF ENTRY?
By entering the contest:
- The laws of the state, province or territory where you reside apply to the contest.
- The entrant agrees to be bound by these official rules and by the decisions of the sponsors, whose decisions are final, binding, and conclusive.
- The entrant warrants that each photo submitted is entirely his or her original work, that the entrant owns the copyright to it, and that the entrant’s or SFI’s copying, use and distribution of the photo will not infringe any intellectual property or other right of any person.
- If the photo includes the image of a person, the entrant warrants that the entrant has the written permission of that person to publish the photo, and to license SFI to publish it.
- By entering the contest, the entrant grants SFI an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, non‑exclusive, royalty-free license to use, publish, and reproduce both the photo and the entrant’s name, image and likeness, and any other information submitted to SFI by the entrant.
- By entering this contest, entrants agree to have their name and the caption of their photo displayed for public viewing.
- SFI may use and reproduce all photos submitted.
- Reasonable efforts will be made to credit the entrant, using the entrant’s name submitted with the entry.
- Photographs must have been taken between April 2016 and July 2018. Entries to category 1 need to be taken on land that is (a) certified to the SFI Standard or (b) touched by SFI Fiber Sourcing, which is defined as lands that have produced fiber for a facility certified to the SFI Fiber Sourcing Standard. Strong preference will be given to photos of forests certified to SFI in all other categories.
As a Resident of the U.S.:
- If the entrant is located in the U.S., he/she is solely responsible for the payment of any taxes due on prizes. Any person winning over $600 in prizes will receive an IRS form 1099 at the end of the calendar year, and a copy of such form will be filed with the IRS.
As a Resident of Canada:
- Residents of Canada will be required to enter a skill-testing question to claim their prize.
- For residents of Quebec, any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the board only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
- HOW WILL THE POTENTIAL WINNER(S) BE SELECTED AND CONTACTED?
The entries in each category will be judged separately, by SFI representatives and/or staff. SFI representatives and/or staff will select the photo(s) that, at the discretion of SFI, best embodies SFI’s goals of conservation and the integration of working forests and communities. Strong preference will be given to photos in all categories of land certified to SFI or touched by SFI Fiber Sourcing.
SFI will make reasonable efforts to contact the winner at the email address provided in the entry. If the winner does not respond to an email within seven (7) days, SFI may disqualify the entry and name a different winner.
- WINNER PUBLICATION AND MORE INFORMATION
Winners’ names will be available on August 17, 2018 at www.sfiprogram.org/photo-contest. For more information, please contact Amanda Suntag, Coordinator, Marketing and Events: Amanda.email@example.com / 202-596-3470.